Wednesday 20 June 2012

A Brief Note on Fatherhood


I am currently on two weeks paternity leave after the birth of my son, Spencer! This is one of the greatest moments of my life, if not the greatest. As he arrived, nothing can prepare you for the emotions that go through you, to see your baby being born, as I’m sure it is for any father simply over whelming.

The nurses at the hospital are some of the most kindest and supportive human beings that I’ve ever encountered, which was surprising as I’d expected very strict midwives that did the job all the time and so this one was no different, so were harsh. But no, they are not paid enough in my view, supportive caring, kind natured, and to keep all that up over my wife’s 24 hour labour was amazing! Also a note of the support of my Sister-In-Law who after having 3 children was a massive help too, and helped calm my wife at times of desperation and uncertainty, and was with us all the way through.

So now comes the sleepless nights, and the constant worry etc – well bring it on, this is going to suit me down to the ground. If anything it can give a man more of a purpose in life, a reason to work extra hard that day, a reason to try for that promotion. It’s like the astronauts that touched the monolith on the moon in 2001: A Space Odyssey  - now is time to progress.

“I cannot think of any need in childhood as strong as the need for a father's protection.
- Sigmund Freud from Civilization and Its Discontents

2 comments:

earthen-magic said...

...a belated congratulations to yoU! ~ and ~ your partner! ~ blessed be! ~ all three!...

Fell_Finder said...

many thanks :)